- David is now fleeing and seeks refuge in a cave at Gath. His father and brothers hear about this and join him.
- David prays for help Psalm 142
- Look at who joined him: And everyone in distress or in debt or discontented gathered to him, and he became a commander over them. And there were with him about 400 men. 1 Samuel 22:2
- In the evening he prayed Psalm 141:1-10
- From Gath David went to Mizpeh and asked the King of Moab to look after his parents. On instruction from the prophet Gad David returns to Hereth in Judah.
- He prays Psalm 64:1-10 and asks for protection.
- Sadly King Saul hears how Ahimelech helped David and orders him and all the priest executed.
- David hears of this and prays for help. Psalm 35:1-28
- The Philistines attack Keilah and David enquires of the Lord should he defend the people ? The Lord answered him and told him to launch an attack.
- David's men were afraid so he once again inquired of the Lord and the Lord said go. So they went and they rescued the people of Keilah.
- David hears of the attack on the priests who helped him and offers protection to Abiathar who is the only one to escape the priesthood execution by King Saul
I call to you, Lord, come quickly to me; hear me when I call to you.
May my prayer be set before you like incense; may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.
Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.
Do not let my heart be drawn to what is evil so that I take part in wicked deeds along with those who are evildoers; do not let me eat their delicacies.
But my eyes are toward You, O God the Lord; in You do I trust and take refuge; pour not out my life nor leave it destitute and bare.
Keep me from the trap which they have laid for me, and the snares of evildoers.
Let the wicked fall together into their own nets, while I pass over them and escape.
Prayer is not the easiest thing for me. I enjoyed reading David's prayers today. I think that I think of prayer too formally and need to share more of my struggles with Him. He is the author and perfecter of who I am. He will hear me as I cry out to Him.
Oh Lord rise up and draw me unto yourself.
May your day be blessed.