|David offering the Head of Goliath to King Saul|
- David is brought before King Saul and says he will face Goliath.
- The Lord hands Goliath over to David and the Israelites pursue the Philistines. David is brought before Saul.
- Jonathan committed himself to David and they became friends.
- After David slew Goliath he wrote Psalm 23.
- 1 Samuel 18:5 And David went out wherever Saul sent him, and he prospered and behaved himself wisely; and Saul set him over the men of war. And it was satisfactory both to the people and to Saul's servants.
- It is at this point that Saul tries to kill David twice. David prays for protection: Psalm 5:1-5
- King Saul offers his daughter Merab to David and David says no. King Saul hears that his daughter Michal loved David and so he offers her to David. He asks for one hundred foreskins as payment. God is with David and blesses him so he pays King Saul in full. As a result of this David became Sauls enemy and did not appear before Saul again.
- Saul realises that the Lord is with David and becomes afraid of him. David prays for help. Psalm 12
A calm and undisturbed mind and heart are the life and health of the body, but envy, jealousy, and wrath are like rottenness of the bones. Proverbs 14:30
Saul envied Davids popularity and the result of this is his scheming to kill David. It drove a wedge between them to the point that David became Saul's enemy.
Envy is a dangerous emotion and destroys you and those around you