|Saul Reproved by Samuel |
for Not obeying the Commandments of the Lord
John Singleton Copley 1798
- After Jabesh-gilead was delivered Saul was confirmed as king.
- Samuel established his integrity before Israel and reminded them of God's love for them and what would happen if they chose not to do as God said.
- The Philistines invaded Israel and Israel began to fear but this was a test for Saul he was to wait for Samuel to come to offer a sacrifice.
- No one had any spears because the Philistines during their rule had forbade it. Only Jonathan and Saul had spears.
- Out of fear Saul disobeyed the word of the Lord and offered up a sacrifice. Then Samuel arrived and declared because of Saul's disobedience his reign would be removed from him and his family.
- Saul reigned for 42 years