April 28, 2012

119 -David's prayer for forgiveness

Kathleen's thoughts

2 Samuel 12: 1- 25
Psalm 6: 1-10l, 51: 1-19, 32: 1-11, 103: 1-22

The Lord send Nathan to David with a parable of a rich man with many lambs and a poor man with only 1 ewe who he adored. When a traveller came by the rich man found it hard to give one of his lambs but took the poor man's lamb and prepared it for his guest.
David was furious and said to Nathan that this man deserves to die. Because he has done this thing and shown no pity. He must pay back with four of his lambs.
Then Nathan said to David you are that man. This is what the Lord God of Israel says. I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. I gave your master's house to you and your master's wives into your arms, and I gave you the house of Israel and Judah, and if that was not enough, I would have given you even more. Why then have you despised the command of the Lord by doing what I consider evil? You struck down Uriah the Hittite  with the sword and took his wife as your own wife you murdered him with the Ammonites sword.
The Lord said to David I am going to bring disaster to you and your own family. I will take your wives and give them to another before your very eyes, and he will sleep with them publicly.
David cried out to Nathan. I have sinned against the Lord.
Then Nathan said to David that the Lord has taken away his sin, - However because you treated the Lord with such contempt in this matter the son born to you will die.

I can't imagine being told that your child is going to die. This must have been such a trying time for David and his wife knowing that your child is going to die. Through all this David still put his trust in the Lord he wrote the most beautiful Psalms of Prayer of forgiveness and love and mercy and prayer for help. David too fasted while his son was ill but when his son passed away he stopped fasting and went and put clean clothes on and sat down to a meal.


Some of the verses I found so beautiful and one can see it's straight from David's heart.


Psalm 103: 8 The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and full of faithful love 13. As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him 14. For He knows what we are made of remembering that we are dust.

Psalm 51: 11 David speaks of the Holy Spirit with him.Do not banish me from Your presence or take Your Holy Spirit from me 13 Restore the joy of Your salvation to me and give me a willing spirit.

Psalm 32: 5 Then I acknowledge my sin to You and did not conceal my iniquity, I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,' and You took away the guilt of my sin.

After his son died David comforted his wife Bathsheba and slept with her, she conceived a son and named him Solomon. The Lord loved him, He sent a message through Nathan the prophet who named him Jedidiah, because of the Lord

Blessings
Kathleen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...