|Samson Slays a Lion.|
- And the woman [in due time] bore a son and called his name Samson; and the child grew and the Lord blessed him. Judges 13:24-25. Did you know the name Samson means like the sun ?
- Jephthah was a great warrior who had been kicked out by his brothers because he was the son of another woman. As a result of this Jephthah fled to the land of Tob where some lawless men joined him.
- During the time when Eli's two sons: Hophni and Phinehas were the LORD'S priests Elkanah and his family would make an annual pilgrimage to sacrifice and worship the Lord.
- Now Hannah was barren and deeply loved by Elkanah. At this time she was deeply hurt and went to the temple: And [Hannah] was in distress of soul, praying to the Lord and weeping bitterly. She vowed, saying, O Lord of hosts, if You will indeed look on the affliction of Your handmaid and [earnestly] remember, and not forget Your handmaid but will give me a son, I will give him to the Lord all his life; no razor shall touch his head. 1 Samuel 1:10-11 In fact her distress was so deep that Eli the priest thought she was drunk! But Hannah answered, No, my lord, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit. I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I was pouring out my soul before the Lord. ... Then Eli said, Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant your petition which you have asked of Him.
- The Lord blessed Hannah with a son within the year and she named him Samuel [heard of God], Because, she said, I have asked him of the Lord. She did not go with her husband to worship but stayed home to nurse Samuel till he was weaned.
- When Samuel was three years old and weaned Hannah kept her word to the Lord and took the boy to Shiloh and dedicated him to the Lord and said: For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted my petition made to Him. Therefore I have given him to the Lord; as long as he lives he is given to the Lord. And they worshiped the Lord there.
- Hannah then prayed.
- HANNAH PRAYED, and said, My heart exults and triumphs in the Lord; my horn (my strength) is lifted up in the Lord. My mouth is no longer silent, for it is opened wide over my enemies, because I rejoice in Your salvation.1 Samuel 2:1 Talk no more so very proudly; let not arrogance go forth from your mouth, for the Lord is a God of knowledge, and by Him actions are weighed. 1 Samuel 2:3 The Lord slays and makes alive; He brings down to Sheol and raises up. 1 Samuel 2:6 The Lord makes poor and makes rich; He brings low and He lifts up. 1 Samuel 2:7 He will guard the feet of His godly ones, but the wicked shall be silenced and perish in darkness; for by strength shall no man prevail. 1 Samuel 2:9
- Due to Israel's sin of idol worship and not doing as He had commanded they were oppressed by the Ammonites and Phillistines. Psalm 106:34-46
- After this time the Israelites repented and got rid of their foreign gods and worshiped the Lord and cried out to Him for deliverance.
- Now Samson had been down to Timnah and seen a beautiful Philistine woman and wanted her for a wife. He asked his father to get her for him. His father and mother did not know that it was of the Lord, and that He sought an occasion for assailing the Philistines. At that time the Philistines had dominion over Israel. Judges 14:4
Hannah's Prayer. Her words are beautiful and you can see a little more of the Heavenly Father and His character in her prayer.
Talk no more so very proudly; let not arrogance go forth from your mouth, for the Lord is a God of knowledge, and by Him actions are weighed. 1 Samuel 2:3
May you be blessed with a sense of who He is.