- The Lord instructed Moses to gather 1000 warriors from each tribe and execute vengeance on Midian and then he would die.
- They killed Balaam and all the kings of Midian. Destroyed the cities and took captives. They were to kill all male children and woman who had been married or who were not virgins. They had to remain outside of the camp.Numbers 31:8-24
- The Lord Himself instructed Moses on how to divide the spoils among the Israelites. There is a full accounting of the spoils.
- There were offerings to the Lord too.
- Not ONE Israelite soldier died in the war of vengeance.
- Tribes of Reuben and Gad requested the land east of Jordan as an inheritance due to the fact that they had a large number of livestock and the land was excellent for raising livestock.
- These tribes commit to war with the Israelites till each tribe has received it's inheritance.
- The first division of land inheritance is given.
What a tragedy that some of God's people, within sight of the Land of Promise, should prefer to settle for something less than God's best. How is it with you ? Are you content to remain this side of Jordan? Are you settling for less than God's best ?
As I was reading today's reading I never considered the requests of the tribes of Gad and Reuben as anything less than the best till I read these words. These words have me hungering to know and walk in His very best for me.