- Today's reading continues with the distribution and allotment of land to the tribes of Israel
and Joshua's portion
- All the land was divided and portioned by lot in the presence of the LORD at the entrance to the tent of meeting in Shiloh.
- The Lord reminds the Israelites to designate cities of refuge and says Any of the Israelites or any alien living among them who killed someone accidentally could flee to these designated cities and not be killed by the avenger of blood prior to standing trial before the assembly. Joshua 20:9
- You can find a visual map with the tribal lands over at Daily Bible.
- The tribe of Levi did not inherit any thing because The Lord, the God of Israel, is their inheritance, as He told them. Joshua 13:33 They were allotted cities out of the other Israelites inheritance.
- The Kohathites were also allotted settlements.
This was so that, by two unchangeable things [His promise and His oath] in which it is impossible for God ever to prove false or deceive us, we who have fled [to Him] for refuge might have mighty indwelling strength and strong encouragement to grasp and hold fast the hope appointed for us and set before [us]. Hebrews 6:18 (Amplified Bible) GOD IS our Refuge and Strength [mighty and impenetrable to temptation], a very present and well-proved help in trouble. Psalm 46:1 (Amplified Bible)