|The Seven Trumpets of Jericho by James Tissot.|
- Joshua and the Israelites were now camped at Gilgal and Joshua set up the 12 stones and encouraged the Israelites to tell their children about what the Lord had done. That all the peoples of the earth may know that the hand of the Lord is mighty and that you may reverence and fear the Lord your God forever. Joshua 4:24.
- It was called Gilgal because ..., This day have I rolled away the reproach of Egypt from you. So the name of the place is called Gilgal [rolling] to this day. Joshua 5:9.
- At Gilgal the Lord instructed Joshua to renew circumcision covenant and circumcise all the males. They stayed there till they were all healed.
- It was here that the gift of Manna ceased and the people ate of the produce of the land.
- As Joshua was approaching Jericho he looked up and saw the Commander of the Lord's Host before him who instructed him in what to do.
- Then Joshua took the people and did as the commander had instructed him. They marched around the city in silence once a day for six days with the priests blowing on trumpets and on the seventh day they circled the city six times and on the seventh they were to give a shout on the long blast from the trumpets. At this the city of Jericho was taken. The walls crumbled and only Rhab and her family were saved because she had protected Joshua's spies.
- The Lord gave specific instructions regarding the loot of the city of Jericho which a few did not keep. Joshua was unaware of this and sent a few men to war against Ai and as a result they were defeated by the few people at Ai.
- Joshua does not know about the sin in Israel and goes and spends time on his face before the Lord seeking His guidance. The Lord speaks to Joshua and tells him what to do.
- The Lord says: There are accursed things in the midst of you, O Israel. You can not stand before your enemies until you take away from among you the things devoted [to destruction]. Joshua 7:13
- As a consequence of their sin the Lord would reveal those who had taken the cursed things into their homes and they and the things were to be burned.
You can not stand before your enemies until you take away from among you the things devoted [to destruction]. Joshua 7:13
As I read these words I became aware there are many things in our hearts that need to be destroyed before we can become victorious in our walks with the Lord. It is indeed a time needed for prayer and cleansing. In our homes too we need to clear out the things that are not pleasing before the Lord our God.