- God Himself speaks to Joshua and appoints him to lead the people into Canaan and pronounces a blessing upon him.
- Joshua starts out by secretly sending two scouts out ahead to Jericho where they encounter Rahab who protects them.
- Joshua tells the people to prepare themselves for they will be entering the land the Lord is giving them. He instructs them.
- The cloud and pillar of fire would no longer lead the people. They were to follow the ark and allow enough distance between themselves and the ark that you may [be able to see the ark and] know the way you must go, for you have not passed this way before I love these words. Every day is a little like that. We have never been there before and need His grace and guidance.
- They crossed the Jordan River on dry ground.
- Once they had crossed the Jordan River the Lord instructs them to set up their first memorial to His acts to help them remember. They were to set up 12 stones one for each tribe and make a memorial before the Lord.
- I love this verse too: On that day the Lord magnified Joshua in the sight of all Israel; and they stood in awe of him, as they stood in awe of Moses, all the days of his life Joshua 4:14. It made me think how so many of us spend years and years trying to elevate ourselves but in actual fact only the Lord can elevate us.
5No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you.
6Be strong (confident) and of good courage, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land which I swore to their fathers to give them.
7Only you be strong and very courageous, that you may do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you. Turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go.
8This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good [a]success.
9Have not I commanded you? Be strong, vigorous, and very courageous. Be not afraid, neither be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
There is so much truth for us today held in these very words spoken to Joshua all those years ago by a faithful loving God.
Remember the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.