|Jael Shows to Barak, Sisera Lying dead.|
James Tissot 1896
- Jael was definately a woman of courage! I don't think I could have done what she did in putting a tent spike into Jabin's head in her tent.
- Deborah and Barak sang and praised God for what He had done.
- Israel had been delivered once again and the kingdom of Israel grew. Some were good and some not so good.
- There was peace for 40 years in Israel.
- Once again Israel turned from the Lord and he handed them over to the Midianites for seven years. As a result Israel became impoverished and cried out to the Lord and He rebuked them.
- The Lord then appointed Gideon son of Joash. He sent the Angel of the Lord to Gideon to appoint him.
- In fear Gideon tore down the altar to Baal at night in his fathers house. Because of this the Midianites, Amalekites and Qedemites gathered together to come against Israel.
- The Spirit of the Lord enveloped Gideon and he became courageous and blew the trumpet calling Israel together.
- Gideon then places a fleece before the Lord who graciously does as Gideon requests.
Today I enjoyed reading about the calling of Gideon. I often picture him as this courageous man of God to aspire to and yet as I read today I read about a man who is fearful (but because he was too afraid of his father's household and the men of the city to do it by day, he did it by night. Judges 6:27).
A man who is hiding and yet God says: ..., you mighty man of [fearless] courage. Judges 6:12 This is a man who doubts himself and his calling and I am encouraged. Encouraged that the Lord uses real people who love Him to lead His people to freedom.
I pray He would encourage you and speak words of wisdom to you today. May you be blessed as you walk with Him.
Elsewhere on the web:
- Gideon (Jerubbaal) at Chabad.org Jewish History.
- Jerubbaal over at Jewish Encyclopedia.
- Gideon over at Jewish Encyclopedia.
- Gideon over at Wikipedia.