- Moses explains to the people that IF they worship idols and follow wrong paths they will be expelled from the land and will seek God but not find Him. He warns that only in their distress will they return to the Lord.
- Deuteronomy 4:31 For the Lord your God is a merciful God; He will not fail you or destroy you or forget the covenant of your fathers, which He swore to them.
- Deuteronomy 4:39 Know, recognize, and understand therefore this day and turn your [mind and] heart to it that the Lord is God in the heavens above and upon the earth beneath; there is no other.
- Moses repeated the Ten Commandments to the people.
- Moses reminded them of the fear of the Lord and seeing and hearing Him because He was so great.
- The Lord said to them in Deuteronomy 5:32-33: Therefore you people shall be watchful to do as the Lord your God has commanded you; you shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left. You shall walk in all the ways which the Lord your God has commanded you, that you may live and that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land which you shall possess.
- Deuteronomy 6:4-5 ...the Lord our God is one Lord [the only Lord]. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your [mind and] heart and with your entire being and with all your might.
- Deuteronomy 6:6-7 And these words which I am commanding you this day shall be [first] in your [own] minds and hearts; [then] You shall whet and sharpen them so as to make them penetrate, and teach and impress them diligently upon the [minds and] hearts of your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down and when you rise up.
- God gave them specific reasons to obey the statutes and ordinances and told them how to explain it to their children when their children asked why ?? Deuteronomy 6:24-25 And the Lord commanded us to do all these statutes, to [reverently] fear the Lord our God for our good always, that He might preserve us alive, as it is this day. And it will be accounted as righteousness (conformity to God's will in word, thought, and action) for us if we are watchful to do all this commandment before the Lord our God, as He has commanded us.
- They are warned not to intermarry because this will turn their sons and daughters away from God. They were to destroy ALL the highplaces.
- Deuteronomy 7:9-10 Know, recognize, and understand therefore that the Lord your God, He is God, the faithful God, Who keeps covenant and steadfast love and mercy with those who love Him and keep His commandments, to a thousand generations, And repays those who hate Him to their face, by destroying them; He will not be slack to him who hates Him, but will requite him to his face.