|Asa destroys the idols and forbids worship in local shrines |
Author: Unknown Date 1372
Today's readings: 1 Kings 15, 2 Chronicles 13,14, Psalm 77
- After the death of Rehoboam, Abijah became King of over Judah. As was with his father before him there was war between Abijah and Jeroboam.
- Thus the Israelites were brought low at that time, and the people of Judah prevailed because they relied upon the Lord, the God of their fathers. 2 Chronicles 13:18
- Abijah walked in the sin of his father before him. The reason he was given a place in Jerusalem is because of King David.
- When Abijah died his son Asa became king in his place.
- Asa reigned as king in Jerusalem for 41 years. And Asa did right in the eyes of the Lord, as did David his father [forefather]. vs 11
- And Asa did what was good and right in the eyes of the Lord his God. 3 He took away the foreign altars and high places and broke down the idol pillars or obelisks and cut down the Asherim [symbols of the goddess Asherah] 4 And commanded Judah to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers [to inquire of and for Him and crave Him as a vital necessity], and to obey the law and the commandment. 5 Also Asa took out of all the cities of Judah the idolatrous high places and the incense altars. And the kingdom had rest under his reign. 2 Chronicles 14:2-5
- During Asa's reign the LORD struck Jeroboam and he died.
- Baasha became king of Israel and reigned 24 years and he did what was evil in the LORD's sight.
- The Cushites came against Judah but the Lord fought for them because Asa cried out to the Lord for them and Judah triumphed over the Cushites.
- 13 Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary [in holiness, away from sin and guilt]. Who is a great God like our God? 14 You are the God Who does wonders; You have demonstrated Your power among the peoples. 15 You have with Your [mighty] arm redeemed Your people, the sons of Jacob and Joseph. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]! Psalms 77:13-15
Judah prevailed because they relied upon the Lord, the God of their fathers. 2 Chronicles 13:18
... And the kingdom had rest under his reign. 2 Chronicles 14:2-5
May your kingdoms be blessed with peace as you seek and rely upon Him