|Elijah carried away into heaven|
- Today's readings mark the beginning of 2 Kings.
- Elijah calls down holy fire which consumes two army officers and their platoon's of 50 men each. When the third man approaches him humbly the Lord releases him to go to the king with his message. The king dies according to the word of the Lord.
- From here Elisha demonstrates his commitment. He stays with Elijah and goes with him asking for a blessing as Elijah is taken to heaven.
- And when they had gone over, Elijah said to Elisha, Ask what I shall do for you before I am taken from you. And Elisha said, I pray you, let a double portion of your spirit be upon me. 2 Kings 2:9
- The Lord granted Elisha his request and Elijah's mantle was passed on to him.
- King Joram and King Jehoshaphat join forces against Moab. Jehoshaphat then enquires of the Lord through Elisha. The Lord instructs the kings on what to do.