|Elijah restoring the Widow's Son |
1886 by Ford Madow Brown.
Chareen's ThoughtsToday's Readings 1 Kings 15, 16, 17, 18, 22 & 2 Chronicles 17,18
- King Asa has died and his son Jehoshaphat has become king.
- Jezebel the wife of Ahab slaughtered the Lord's prophets but Obadiah a man who loved and feared the Lord took and hid 100 of the Lord's prophets. He not only hid them but provided for them.
- Jehoshaphat was 35 years old when he became king. He did what was right in the LORD's sight. However the high places were not taken away.
- 3 The Lord was with Jehoshaphat because he walked in the first ways of his father [David]. He did not seek the Baals 4 But sought and yearned with all his desire for the Lord, the God of his father, and walked in His commandments and not after the ways of Israel. 2 Chronicles 17:3-4
- It was during the reign of Ahab and Jehoshaphat that the Lord called Elijah the Tishbite from Gilead. Elijah went before Ahab and declared that there would be no rain until he commands it. From this point the Lord cares for Elijah first in the desert and then when he lives with the widow.
- During his stay with the widow her son dies. Elijah asks the Lord to restore her son and He does.
- After three years the Lord tells Elijah to return to Ahab.