|Jezabel and Ahab Meeting Elijah in Naboth's Vineyard|
Print by Sir Frank Dicksee
- A man of God came and said to the king of Israel, Thus says the Lord: Because the Syrians have said, The Lord is God of the hills but He is not God of the valleys, therefore I will deliver all this great multitude into your hands, and you shall know and recognize by experience that I am the Lord 1 Kings 20:28
- The Syrians rose up against Israel and the Lord handed them over to Ahab.
- Ahab then makes peace with Ben-hadad.
- The Lord then sentences Ahab to death.
- Ahab then coveted Naboth's vinyard and sulked when Naboth did not give it to him. Jezabel then had Naboth murdered in the Kings name and Ahab took over the vinyard.
- The Lord then passes sentance on Ahab for this sin via Elijah.
- Ahab humbles himself and repents. The Lord softens his sentence and says it will take place after Ahab's death.
- Jehoshaphat joins Ahab and asks that they enquire of the Lord. Ahab's prophets keep saying the Lord says go. But Jehoshaphat asks again where is the prophet of Yahweh ?
As I read I see time and time again His heart is that : you shall know and recognize by experience that I am the Lord 1 Kings 20:28