|"Departure of the Israelites", by David Roberts, 1829|
- The FIRST Passover: Exodus 11:1-8
- Exodus 11:5 and every firstborn male in the land of Egypt will die, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sits on his throne to the firstborn of the servant girl who is behind the millstones, as well as every firstborn of the livestock.
- The death of Pharaoh's son was revealed to Moses before he even returned back in Egypt. Exodus 4: 22 Then you will say to Pharaoh: This is what the LORD says: Israel is My first born son. I told you: Let My son go so that he may worship Me, but you refused to let him go. Now I will kill your first born son!"
- Passover instructions: Exodus 12:1-12 The Lord is very specific in His requirements of the people of Israel.
- He declarers His reason for His treatment of Egypt Exodus 12:12 ... I am the LORD; I will execute judgements against all the gods of Egypt.
- ...when I see the blood I will pass over you. Exodus 12:13 and it's the same for us today but we are covered in the blood of Jesus and He passes over us and forgives us. Therefore Jesus also suffered and died outside the [city's] gate in order that He might purify and consecrate the people through [the shedding of] His own blood and set them apart as holy [for God]. Hebrews 13:12 And to Jesus, the Mediator (Go-between, Agent) of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood which speaks [of mercy], a better and nobler and more gracious message than the blood of Abel [which cried out for vengeance].Hebrews 12:24 And Jesus said to them, I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, you cannot have any life in you unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood [unless you appropriate His life and the saving merit of His blood]. John6:53
- Passover is declared a memorial and it must be celebrated as a festival to the LORD Exodus 12:14
- A second festival is declared: Festival of Unleavened Bread Exodus 12:17 The new testament speaks thus of unleavened bread Therefore, let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, nor with leaven of vice and malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened [bread] of purity (nobility, honor) and sincerity and [unadulterated] truth. 1 Corinthians 5:8
- Exodus 12:28-35 The first Passover happens and the Israelite s are asked to leave immediately.
- 70 people arrived in Egypt Genesis 46:27 and 430 years later 600,000 foot soldiers and their families departed. Exodus 12:37
Purge (clean out) the old leaven that you may be fresh (new) dough, still uncontaminated [as you are], for Christ, our Passover [Lamb], has been sacrificed 1 Corinthians 5:8
For Further reading: