Job 31 Here Job was speaking about himself and his choices. He speaks about the secret depths of his heart. I notice that the things we are encouraged to commit to at church in our walk with the Lord are the very things that Job made personal commitments to. As I read I also noticed that he framed his life around the Ten Commandments.
Jobs Framework for Righteous living.
- Job 31 : 1 A commitment to not look at another woman Exodus 20:14 (Ten Commandments) Matthew 5:28 Jesus says: But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. As you read further on you Job elaborates upon this issue.
- Job 31:5 committed to honesty Exodus 20:16 Though shalt not bear false witness
- Job 31:15 He points out that God made everyone including the servants and that in itself is a reason to treat those working for you with respect. He listened to those in his service and did them justly.
- Job 31:16 - 21 Job is a man who cared not only in word but in action for the widow, orphan and poor. Jesus admonishes us in the New Testament to do these very things. What is faith if there is no action - it's dead faith.
- Job31:24-28 He speaks about idolatry and the root of it been .... denying God above. Exodus 20:3-6 (1st Commandment)
- Job 31:30 I have not allowed my mouth to sin by asking for his life with a curse. Wow imagine being able to say I have not allowed my mouth to sin. I struggle so much with my mouth it gets in the way so often.... James 3:1-11. James word on the tongue is so encouraging.
- Job 31:32 No stranger had to spend the night on the street, for I opened my door to the traveler. Hebrews 13:2 We are encouraged to look after strangers. This is not an easy thing to do.
- Job 33:14 For God speaks time and again, but a person may not notice it. I have been guilty of this so often. I wonder where I would be in my journey of knowing Him if only I had taken notice and acted upon His voice.
- Job 34:10 ... It is impossible for God to do wrong, and for the Almighty to act unjustly.
- Job 34:11 Indeed, it is true that God does not act wickedly and the Almighty does not pervert justice.
- Job 34:19 God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor; for they are all the work of His hands. Sometimes when I look around me and see the wicked prosper or friends at church being blessed with what I desire then I have thrown childish tantrums and felt as though the Lord favours some more than others. I need to remember this verse that He has no favourites.
- Job 34:21 For His eyes watch over a man's ways and He observes all his steps.
- Job 36:5 Yes, God is mighty, but He despises no one; it is so good to know that He despises no one. This is often hard to remember when I look at those who are openly walking in sin. I am blessed to know that God does not have a low opinion of anyone.
- Job 36:26 Look, God is exalted beyond our knowledge; the number of His years cannot be counted Over the years I have wondered how old God is and my children have all asked me how old He is. Never noticed this verse before ! Think about it the number of His years cannot be counted ! How great is Our God.
"Blessed are you when they insult you
and persecute you and
falsely say every kind of evil against you
because of Me."
Reading Job today has given me a deeper understanding of this verse in Matthew. I wonder how many times we have judged a fellow Christian who in truth was not in sin but being tested as Job was tested ?