January 03, 2012

3 - Regret and Rainbows of Promise


Photo Credit: Hub Pages

And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between Me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all future generations: I have placed My bow in the clouds, and it will be a sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. ...
God said to Noah, "This is the sign of the covenant that I have confirmed between Me and all flesh on earth."

Genesis 9: 12 - 17


Chareen's Thoughts:

Who were the sons of God who married the daughters of men resulting in Nephilim ? In Genesis 6:4 they are called powerful men of old, the famous men.  I wonder if this is a positive or negative statement. I wonder if these men are the source of mythology ? Powerful men can mean good or evil.  I read an interesting article titled Who were the Nephilim ? I would be keen to hear your point of view.
Genesis 6:3 God numbers our days to 120 years.

It saddened me to read: the LORD regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. (Genesis 6:6)

How sad to know that He regretted making mankind. 

As I read about God's response to Noah's sacrifice I realised that because of the faithful devotion of one man offerering a sacrifice that pleased the Lord the rest of us live by the grace of God on earth. Genesis 8:21 The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma, He said to Himself, "I will never again curse the ground because of man, even though man's inclination is evil from his youth. And I will never again strike down every living thing as I have done.
Right from the days of Noah God has placed and declared the sanctity of life because people are made in the image of God.  Genesis 9:6 Whoever sheds man's blood, his blood will be shed by man, for God made man in His image.

Looking at the picture of the rainbow. A circle. Perfectly round and never ending. It is a sign to us of His covenant.  Some say but we still have floods.  Yes we do but His covenant says that He will not kill every living thing and we can see evidence of Him keeping His word.  Yes some die but there are always people and animals that  survive. This promise is also very specific in that He will not kill every living thing on the whole planet.  This promise has been kept for over 7 000 years. (Yes I believe in a literal creation.)

Our God is a good God.

Blessings

Chareen

Links of interest:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...