|The Gathering of the Manna by James Tissot|
- Exodus 16:4-36 The story of manna. God supplied their need of food for 40 years. Six days a week there was enough for everyone. He was faithful and on time.
- Sabbath a law of rest. Exodus 16:23-30 It is a day of complete rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD.
- Exodus 18:1-27 Jethro returned Moses's family and visited him. He gave Moses wise council and advised him to assign people to help him govern the house of Israel. Verse 11 Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods, because He did wonders ... Interesting verse. The Lords reputation is being forged among the people of the world. Jethro was a priest verse 1 even as a priest he needed to hear the wonders of the LORD to affirm his faith.
- Conflict with Amalek. This is their first war as a nation. Exodus 17:8-16 and Joshua's first training ground to lead.
- Moses role became defined in Exodus 18:19-20 ...You be the one to represent the people before God and bring their cases to Him. Instruct them about the statutes and laws, and teach them the way to live and what they must do. Upon his shoulders rests the training of a nation. He with the Lords guidance transformed a nation of slaves into a nation that influences the world to this very day. The statutes he put in place are the skeleton for most developed nations today.
- Why did all this happen to the Israelites ? 1 Corinthians 10:11 "Now these things happened to them as examples, and they were written as a warning to us ..."
Now if you will listen to Me and carefully keep My covenant, you will be My own possession out of all the peoples, although all the earth is Mine, and you will be My kingdom of priests and My holy nation. ... Exodus 19:5-6