- Numbers 3 -4 lays out the setting aside of the Levites holy to the Lord. They were to work for the Lord for 25 years and retire at the age of 50.
- It has been interesting researching the Tabernacle and what it would cost to build today. When you think of it in these terms the tribe of Levi had a huge responsibility.
- The Khohathites were set apart even from the Levi people in their service.(Numbers 4:1-15) The Lord gave special instruction that they were not allowed to be wiped out from the Levites. Numbers 4:18
- The name, or rather, expression קהת ("kohath") means "an obedient one", sometimes "one of whom expected much" (see Gen. 49:10).
- they were the "humble strongmen" among the Levites, exceeding in this regard the sons of Judah (see. Gen. 49:10)
- Numbers 4:1-15Wow the High Priest was to cover all the most holy things and only once this was done were the Kohathites allowed in to come and pick up and carry these holy things. They were to carry but NEVER touch any of these items. Each item had specific coloured clothes covering them as well. These men must have been very strong and diligent in their special task.
- Numbers 4:21-28 The Gershonites were to carry the actual curtains and coverings of the Tabernacle.
- Numbers 4:29-33 The Merarites were to carry the supports and equipment of the Tabernacle.
- The total number of men registered to work and care for the Tabernacle were:
Kohathite 2,750 + Gershonites 2,630 + Merarites 3,200
Therefore the total number of registered men numbered 8,580 Numbers 4:48 That's an amazing number of people needed to care for the Tabernacle.
I APPEAL to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of [all] the mercies of God, to make a decisive dedication of your bodies [presenting all your members and faculties] as a living sacrifice, holy (devoted, consecrated) and well pleasing to God, which is your reasonable (rational, intelligent) service and spiritual worship. Romans 12:1
For Further Reading
- Extended Y chromosome haplotypes resolve multiple and unique lineages of the Jewish priesthood
- Jewish Genetics: Abstracts and Summaries
- Definition of Levite over at Medicine Net.com really interesting summary.
- DNA Teaches History a Few Lessons of Its Own over at New York Times.
- Why did the Kohathites carry the holy articles on their shoulders ? over at The Desert Tabernacle.
- Why did the Kohathites have to carry the Ark on the shoulders ? over at The Desert Tabernacle