|The death of Korah, Dathan & Abiram.|
- Today's reading started with the story of Korah, Dathan and Abiram who rebelled against the leadership of Aaron and Moses.
- The Lord then calls them and their 250 followers to appear before Him in the morning. The Lord decided they needed to die for their sin but Aaron and Moses interceded for the crowd.
- The Lord then said that Korah, Dathan and Abiram will die by the land swollowing them and their families. Their deaths were a sign of God's choice of Aaron and Moses as leaders.
- The Lord sent a holy fire to consume the 250 followers of Korah, Dathan and Abiram.
- It intrigued me that the very next day after witnessing the Lord dealing with jealsousy and insurrection the congregation grumbled and complained about Moses and blamed him for the deaths of the others.
- The Lords anger burned against them and He sent a plague to consume Israel. Aaron makes an atonement offering and the plague is halted. 14 700 died in addition to Korah and the others.
- You then see the patience and love of the Lord as He chooses to prove that He has chosen Aaron. He asks for a staff from each house in Israel with the name of the leader of each tribe.
- The rods were placed in the tent of meeting. And the next day Moses went into the Tent of the Testimony, and behold, the rod of Aaron for the house of Levi had sprouted and brought forth buds and produced blossoms and yielded [ripe] almonds. Numbers 17:8
- The Lord once again confirms the Levitical responsibilites to the people.
This second verse stood out because often times people grumble and complain about the tithe being used to pay the pastor or staff of a church but the Lord Himself declares that is what it's for !