- I am reading Leviticus at the moment. I wondered where the book got it's name from. The english name of the book finds it's roots in greek and latin in reference to the Levites. It is not, however a manual exclusive to the priesthood as it speaks about the roles and duties of the people as well as the priests and the temple.
- Todays reading is about clean and unclean animals and food Leviticus 11.
- I found verse 16 interresting because it lists the ostrich as unclean and not to be eaten. Ostrich meat has of recent times been advertised as healthy meat to eat yet the bible lists it as a not to eat meat.
- Leviticus 11:31-46 contains rules of unclean. This is an interresting read in relation to what we know today about microbial disease and how they spread. Through out history the Jewish population has not suffered from as many diseases because of these easy rules.
- The Lord is very specific in His list verse 47 To make a difference (a distinction) between the unclean and the clean, and between the animal that may be eaten and the animal that may not be eaten.
- His reasons for these injunctions are clear: Verse 44 - 45 For I am the Lord your God; so consecrate yourselves and be holy, for I am holy; neither defile yourselves with any manner of thing that multiplies in large numbers or swarms.For I am the Lord Who brought you up out of the land of Egypt to be your God; therefore you shall be holy, for I am holy.
- Leviticus 12 is about childbirth etc.
- Verse 3 And on the eighth day the child shall be circumcised. Research has shown that the level of vitamin K in the body is it's highest point on day eight. After this it lowers to it's normal range. It takes seven days for the flora in the gut to populate after birth and create vit K neccessary for the baby's blood to clot properly. I read some interresting research showing that is rare for Jewish women to suffer from cervical cancer and this fact has been atributed to the act of circumcising of their male population. You can read more about the research here and here.
- Verse 4 - 5 is about being unclean for 33 or 66 days depending on the sex of her baby. This too is interresting. It has been found that hormone levels are different in women depending on the sex of the baby. If a woman has a daughter it takes twice as long for her hormones to settle as it does after having a son.
- Leviticus 13 is about skin diseases and whether you are clean or unclean.
For Further Reading:
This is by far the best book I have read in relation to the food we eat and the bible. Dr Russell is a christian MD who shares with you his journey on finding out what the bible has to say about Healthy Living. In the book he shares with you three principles to use in choosing what you eat. Part I deals with the question: If we were created perfect why are we sick ? Part II is where he shares three principles to use when choosing your food. In Part III he shares with you about the different foods. I found this interresting because he shows what scripture has to say, then he has a section on what research has shown in relation to the food item being discussed. Purchase from: Christian Book, Book Depository, Koorong. What the bible says about healthy living cook book sample.
The Makers Diet is written by Jordan Rubin. Jordan share his personal testomony of being critically ill to being totally healthy following the Makers Diet. The interresting thing with this book is Jordan talks about your health on three levels: body, mind and soul. Great read and contains a good step by step.
Purchase from Book Depository, Koorong and Christian Book.
Website: The Makers Diet
The story behind the book.
Makers Diet Resources
The Bible Cure is written by Dr Reginald Cherry MD. From the back of the book: In the Bible Cure. Dr. Cherry presents and irrefutable case: Woven into the Bible are hidden health clues that only recently have been validated by scientific and medical research. Dr. Cherry's warm and inviting style will help you to grasp these hard to understand medical concepts, and the miraculous testimonies of his own patients will build your faith in a God who heals. There are a few books dealing with specific illnesses and what to use naturally to help your body.
Purchase from: Christian Book, Book Depository, Koorong.
Read his blog. and website Pathway to Healing.