Guidance for Godly Living
- Leviticus 19:2 ...You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy.
- Leviticus 19:3 Each of you shall give due respect to his mother and his father, and keep My Sabbaths holy. I the Lord am your God.
- Leviticus 19:1-37 is a summary of the conduct of the Lords people.
- Leviticus 19:11 You shall not steal, or deal falsely, or lie one to another.
- Leviticus 19:14 You shall not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block before the blind, but you shall [reverently] fear your God. I am the Lord.
- Leviticus 19:15 You shall do no injustice in judging a case; you shall not be partial to the poor or show a preference for the mighty, but in righteousness and according to the merits of the case judge your neighbor.
- Leviticus 19:16 You shall not go up and down as a dispenser of gossip and scandal among your people, nor shall you [secure yourself by false testimony or by silence and] endanger the life of your neighbor. I am the Lord.
- Leviticus 19:17 You shall not hate your brother in your heart; but you shall surely rebuke your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him.
- Leviticus 19:18 You shall not take revenge or bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.
- Leviticus 19:19 You shall keep My statutes. You shall not let your domestic animals breed with a different kind [of animal]; you shall not sow your field with mixed seed, neither wear a garment of linen mixed with wool.
- Leviticus 19:23-25 We are to plant fruit trees and not eat fruit for the first three years, fourth year give it to the Lord and in the 5th year we may start to eat it. God promises to increase our yield if we do this. But in the fifth year you may eat of the fruit [of the trees], that their produce may enrich you; I am the Lord your God.
- Leviticus 19:28 You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead nor print or tattoo any marks upon you; I am the Lord. Interesting verse. Why is it many Christians tattoo themselves with christian verses / pictures ?? yet the word of the Lord is clear do not do it.
- Leviticus 19:30 You shall keep My Sabbaths and reverence My sanctuary. I am the Lord. Great verse. One of the ways we can reverence the Lords sanctuary is to dress well as a sign of respect. I remember as a little girl we always wore our Sunday best to church. Today you can go to church and some of us are dressed as though we are about to go to the beach. ??
- Leviticus 19:31 Turn not to those [mediums] who have familiar spirits or to wizards; do not seek them out to be defiled by them. I am the Lord your God. Have you ever read your star sign ? Have you ever read the week ahead ? We are defiled by reading these things. Stay away from palm readers etc. What programs do we watch on TV, how do they measure up in relation to this verse ?
- Leviticus 19:32 You shall rise up before the hoary head and honor the face of the old man and [reverently] fear your God. I am the Lord. One of the things that sadden me deeply is to see how badly the elderly are treated in our day. The elderly are to be honoured according to the Lord.
- Leviticus 19:34 But the stranger who dwells with you shall be to you as one born among you; and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt. I am the Lord your God. Challenging verse. Applicable to us today just as much as to them then. Our Egypt is our state before Christ. Foreigners anyone not a Christian. Even more so those who are literal foreigners. How often do we make a mockery of those who are not blood of our own nation. We mimic their accents and if their skin tone/facial features are different we look down on them. The Lord asks us not to do this.
- Leviticus 19:35 You shall do no unrighteousness in judgment, in measures of length or weight or quantity. I wish more people lived by this verse it really annoys me when I buy something and feel like I have been cheated.
- Verse 9 Everyone who curses his father or mother shall surely be put to death; he has cursed his father or mother; his blood guilt is upon him. Disrespect carried the penalty of death. Respecting our parents is an important thing before the Lord
- Verse 10 - 12 Adultery = death
- Verse 13 Homosexuality = death
- Verse 14 Polygamy = death
- Verse 15-16 Bestiality = death
- Verse 17 Incest = disgrace and being cut off
- Verse 18 - 21 Sexual consequences
Wow great reading today. If you have children or are a new Christian Leviticus Chapter 19 is an excellent summary outlining godly living.
PS found a very interesting article on word definitions: What is Sodomy ?