February 07, 2012

38 - I will give you rain if ...

 Chareen's Thoughts:
  • Today's reading started out about property redemption.  One of the things that I found interesting at the end of yesterdays reading the Lord says: The land is not to be permanently sold because it is Mine, and you are only foreigners and temporary residents on My land. Leviticus 25:23  This is the basis of the year of Jubilee. 
  • Jubilee occurs once every fiftieth year. Leviticus 25:8-24
  • Leviticus 25:35-55 contains specific laws pertaining slaves and the poor in a community.  Interestingly God gives the Israelites a reason for the laws He has given. He says: For the Israelites are My slaves. They are My slaves I brought out of the land of Egypt; I am the LORD your God.
  • Leviticus 26:1 YOU SHALL make for yourselves no idols nor shall you erect a graven image, pillar, or obelisk, nor shall you place any figured stone in your land to which or on which to bow down; for I am the Lord your God. This is an interesting verse.  No obelisk in your land.  Have you ever taken note of the memorials in your community ?  In your State ? Your country ? Interestingly enough in front of churches? Have a look at these images of some famous places with obelisks: A Church in Europe, In Washington, A War Memorial in Britain, Eternal Flame in Australia
  • This verse is followed by: You shall keep My Sabbaths and reverence My sanctuary. I am the Lord. If you walk in My statutes and keep My commandments and do them, I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase and the trees of the field yield their fruit. And your threshing [time] shall reach to the vintage and the vintage [time] shall reach to the sowing time, and you shall eat your bread to the full and dwell in your land securely. I will give peace in the land; you shall lie down and none shall fill you with dread or make you afraid; and I will clear ferocious (wild) beasts out of the land, and no sword shall go through your land. Leviticus 26: 2-6 He promises abundance!  Look at the fruit He promises IF we obey. The blessings carry on in verses 7-13
  • verse 14-39 God explains the consequences of disobedience.
In the For Thought and Contemplation section it says: God's warnings are clearly signposted everywhere in life - for those who have eyes to see. And no one can accuse God of enforcing any law that He has not clearly "posted".  How very true this statement is when you start reading through the Law part of the bible.  There are so many truths hidden in this part of scripture.  I am getting a fresher appreciation for His love and redemption.
Blessings
Chareen


For Further Reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...