- Today's reading started out about property redemption. One of the things that I found interesting at the end of yesterdays reading the Lord says: The land is not to be permanently sold because it is Mine, and you are only foreigners and temporary residents on My land. Leviticus 25:23 This is the basis of the year of Jubilee.
- Jubilee occurs once every fiftieth year. Leviticus 25:8-24
- Leviticus 25:35-55 contains specific laws pertaining slaves and the poor in a community. Interestingly God gives the Israelites a reason for the laws He has given. He says: For the Israelites are My slaves. They are My slaves I brought out of the land of Egypt; I am the LORD your God.
- Leviticus 26:1 YOU SHALL make for yourselves no idols nor shall you erect a graven image, pillar, or obelisk, nor shall you place any figured stone in your land to which or on which to bow down; for I am the Lord your God. This is an interesting verse. No obelisk in your land. Have you ever taken note of the memorials in your community ? In your State ? Your country ? Interestingly enough in front of churches? Have a look at these images of some famous places with obelisks: A Church in Europe, In Washington, A War Memorial in Britain, Eternal Flame in Australia
- This verse is followed by: You shall keep My Sabbaths and reverence My sanctuary. I am the Lord. If you walk in My statutes and keep My commandments and do them, I will give you rain in due season, and the land shall yield her increase and the trees of the field yield their fruit. And your threshing [time] shall reach to the vintage and the vintage [time] shall reach to the sowing time, and you shall eat your bread to the full and dwell in your land securely. I will give peace in the land; you shall lie down and none shall fill you with dread or make you afraid; and I will clear ferocious (wild) beasts out of the land, and no sword shall go through your land. Leviticus 26: 2-6 He promises abundance! Look at the fruit He promises IF we obey. The blessings carry on in verses 7-13
- verse 14-39 God explains the consequences of disobedience.
For Further Reading:
- Jubilee over at Wikipedia
- Sabbatical Year and Jubilee over at Jewish Encyclopedia.
- Chronology of Jubilee's over at Creation Answers
- Sabbatical Year and Jubilee Year over at My Jewish Learning
- Parashat Behar - Strange Settlers over at Hebrew 4 Christians.
- Parashat Behar - Quick Summary over at Hebrew 4 Christians