- Today's reading starts with The LORD said to Moses: "Tell your brother Aaron that he may not come whenever he wants into the holy place behind the veil in front of the mercy seat on the ark or else he will die, because I appear in the cloud above the mercy seat. Leviticus 16:2 as I read these words I realised the privilege we have living in New Testament times where it says Let us then fearlessly and confidently and boldly draw near to the throne of grace (the throne of God's unmerited favor to us sinners), that we may receive mercy [for our failures] and find grace to help in good time for every need [appropriate help and well-timed help, coming just when we need it].Hebrews 4:16
- Atonement (the doctrine concerning the reconciliation of God and humankind, especially as accomplished through the life, suffering, and death of Christ. ) Once a year Aaron was to make an atonement sacrifice. There is a specific day once a year set aside for atonement Lev 23: 26-28
- Lev 16:27 The bull and the goat for the sin offerings, whose blood was brought into the Most Holy Place to make atonement, must be taken outside the camp; their hides, flesh and intestines are to be burned up and this is what it says in explanation for us in the New Testament: For when the blood of animals is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest as a sacrifice for sin, the victims' bodies are burned outside the limits of the camp. Therefore Jesus also suffered and died outside the [city's] gate in order that He might purify and consecrate the people through [the shedding of] His own blood and set them apart as holy [for God]. Let us then go forth [from all that would prevent us] to Him outside the camp [at Calvary], bearing the contempt and abuse and shame with Him. Heb 13: 11-13
- Lev 16: 29 This is to be a permanent statute for you: In the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month you are to practice self-denial and do no work, ... practice self denial, much to think about. What do we do to practice self denial ??
- Why blood for atonement ? Leviticus 17:11 For the life (the animal soul) is in the blood, and I have given it for you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement, by reason of the life [which it represents].
- The Lord required: burnt offerings Lev 1, grain offerings Lev 2, sin offerings Lev 3, Sin Offering Lev 4, restitution offering Lev 5, ordination offering and fellowship sacrifice.
For Further Reading: