|Moses Strikes the Rock|
James Tissot 1902
- In yesterdays reading we learned that the Levites did not inherit land but were given the tithe as their payment for their service in the tabernacle. Today's reading starts off telling the Levites to tithe on tithe.
- The Lord gives instruction to burn a red heifer and use it's ashes to make purification water for those who are unclean. His instructions for its use are quite specific.
- Miriam dies in Kadesh and is buried.
- The people once again revert to their habit of complaint and unbelief in Meribah. Aaron and Moses go before the Lord and He instructs them to speak to the rock before the assembly so that the Lords holiness would be known but Aaron and Moses disobey the Lord and strike the rock twice to bring forth water. Hence the name Meribah.
- The consequence of Aaron and Moses disobedience is that the Lord says that neither of them shall enter the promised land.
- At this point in Moses life he is blessed with grand children.
- Israel continued their journey to Mount Hor. Along the way the Edomites refused them passage along the King's highway.
- At Mount Hor the Lord instructs Moses, Aaron and Aarons son Eleazar to ascend the mountain and pass on the office of High Priest. It is here that Aaron died he was 123 years old and it had been 40 years since the Israelites had departed from Egypt. The whole house of Israel mourned the death of Aaron for 30 days.
For Further Reading:
- The Mystery of the Red Heiffer: Divine Promise of Purity over at The Temple Institute.
- Red Heifer over at Wikipedia.
- Audio A Red Heifer is Alive and well in Israel over at Israel National News
- The Red Heifer over at Great Dreams.
- Red Heifer born in Israel over at The Temple Institute. (Photographs)
- Complete video on Red Heifer teaching from The Temple Institute.