|Jews praying in the Synagogue on Yom Kippur|
by Maurycy Gottlieb in 1878
Tel Aviv Museum of Art
- Lev 4:17 And shall dip his finger in the blood, and sprinkle it seven times before the Lord, before the veil [which screens the ark of the covenant]. The number seven appears again.
- Leviticus 5:13, Leviticus 4:26, Leviticus 4:35, Leviticus 4:31 & Leviticus 4:20 ... and the priest shall make atonement for [the people], and they shall be forgiven. This made me think of 1 Corinthians 6:11 And such some of you were [once]. But you were washed clean (purified by a complete atonement for sin and made free from the guilt of sin), and you were consecrated (set apart, hallowed), and you were justified [pronounced righteous, by trusting] in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the [Holy] Spirit of our God.
- Lev 6:1-7 is about sinning against your neighbour. Lev 6:5 he shall not only restore it in full, but shall add to it one fifth more and give it to him to whom it belongs on the day of his trespass or guilt offering. Restitution is not only about returning what what was taken but returning it with positive interest.
- Lev 10:9 Do not drink wine or strong drink, you or your sons, when you go into the Tent of Meeting, lest you die; it shall be a statute forever in all your generations. Interesting verse considering we use wine in some of our places of meeting when we pass the cup around ?? Yes I know this statute was given to Aaron and his sons but what are the implications for us today ?
For Christ [the Messiah Himself] died for sins once [a]for all, the Righteous for the unrighteous (the Just for the unjust, the Innocent for the guilty), that He might bring us to God. In His human body He was put to death, but He was made alive in the spirit, 1 Peter 3:18
For Further Reading
- A pictorial step by step of The Day of Atonement over at The Desert Tabernacle.
- Day of Atonement (Yomha-Kippurim) over at Jewish Encyclopedia.
- Word definition: YOM KIPPUR: The Day of Atonement over at My Jewish Learning.
- Yom Kippur Theology and Themes over at My Jewish Learning.
- History of Yom Kippur over at My Jewish Learning. over at My Jewish Learning.
- Yom Kippur 101 over at My Jewish Learning.
- Yom Kippur at Home over at My Jewish Learning.
- Yom Kippur - The Day of Atonement over at Hebrew 4 Christians.
- Yom Kippur at Wikipedia
- Atonement over at Theopedia